Tuesday, July 28, 2009

....

Again, I find myself wishing I had more/better friends. I feel really pathetic, but I honestly don't know where or how to meet any. I've befriended all of my coworkers that I care to. Other than that...I'm kind of clueless. The night I hung out with my friend from a couple posts ago (the one that mistakenly thought I wanted more than friendship), I met a bunch of her friends and they were all really kool. But I doubt I'll be invited back because my presumptuous friend that I had to set straight has not contacted me since. 

I was hanging out at Starbucks this afternoon, reading a book. There was this lady there reading what looked to be a self-help or coping book entitled "Suddenly Single." She was sitting alone. The coffee shop was not at all crowded, there were plenty of both tables and stuffed armchairs. But this man walked over to her and was like "do you mind if I join you?" He sat down with her and they chatted for the next hour. I was struck by the simplicity, and the sweetness of the situation. I left before they did, but I really hope they exchanged numbers and whatnot. I really like the rare occasions that I witness those types of things.

I went and saw Orphan this evening. Good movie with a crazy twist. I have a degree in psychology, but that was some other type of crazy. It was interesting.


2 comments:

Black Girl Meets World said...

You have a degree in Psychology? I had no idea! I remember you graduating, just not what field...

Friends...I don't have that many new friends to be honest. I have learned that work + friends very rarely exists...so I only mingle with a few...but I was just telling my mom that I don't have that many friends. I guess it works out because I'm a big old homebody anyway.

Do they have social clubs in your town? Like a group of people that get together basically to hang? Kind of like a sorority but minus all of the cliqui-ness. I think that's what they're called here- social clubs. Either that, or since you've been gymming it up so much, why don't you consider joining an intramural team or sport? Some towns even have it where it's associated with a park or somethin, not necessarily the gym.

You're not pathetic at all, just honest. And I think it's important to us to be honest about things.

Anonymous said...

You're definitely not pathetic. No way , no how. It's hard to make friends as an adult female. I concur with that. I'm only friends with one chick I went to highschool with, and the rest are like girlfriends of my hunny's friends, and old co-workers. I've been contemplating how to meet new ppl as well...