Friday, January 23, 2009

Cocaine

Not much has been going on. Same ol' same ol'. Can't complain.

I'm really starting to get excited about moving. Now that I've actually began sorting through things and marking things off my list, I really can't wait. Only a little over a week left in this place! I can't believe I've lived here this long. I remember when I first moved in, I didn't think I would be here any longer than a few months. But that was in the summer of 2006. I never thought it would happen, but I grew comfortable here. I've made many memories here. Regardless of how I felt when I first got here, it's been home. I'm still thrilled to be leaving though!

It's really funny how off-base our perceptions of people can be sometimes. I went to dinner with a friend last night. I've been friends with her for like 3 years, met her my junior year of college. I thought I pretty much knew her. Last night she revealed that she is absolutely dying to try crack. She wasn't even joking. She knows when she's going to try it, where, and the person she's going to try it with. She said she doesn't mind the risk of addiction. She said that she knows it's a terrible idea but she's going to do it anyway. I was so shocked. I just kept telling her, "you're crazy!" and other similar remarks. I couldn't believe it. Drugs are so far off of my list of things to do that I don't ever consider that they could very well be on other people's. When I think of cocaine and any other drug besides weed, I think of addicts who will do anything for their next hit. And I always think they got that way because of one bad decision, like poor snap judgment at a random party or someone gave it to them mixed in something else and they weren't aware. I wasn't aware that people consciously desired, with a sober mind, to try the drug for long periods of time, especially well-to-do college students who've got their ducks in a row and everything seemingly in their favor. I didn't say too much to her about it, but I really hope she changes her mind.

Bed early for me tonight...

No comments: